I picked up this original recipe from AllRecipes and modified it to fit my family’s tastes. The picture to the right is how it looks before the rice starts to cook.
2 teaspoons olive oil
6 boneless chicken thighs, cut into bite-size pieces, and 3 sausages, diced
1 onion, diced
1/2 cup diced celery
1 red bell pepper, diced
1 green pepper, diced
1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
3 large garlic cloves, chopped
1/2 teaspoon onion powder
1/2 teaspoon thyme
1/2 tsp parsley
1/2 teaspoon oregano
salt and ground black pepper to taste
2 cups uncooked white rice
4 cups chicken stock
3 bay leaves
2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
1 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
How to prepare
- Heat oil in a dutch oven, large pot, or very large saucepan over medium heat.
- Add onion and sautee until it begins to soften
- Add the celery and continue to sautee until the celery is soft and the onion is clear.
- Remove from the pot and add the garlic. Cook until aromatic.
- Add chicken and kielbasa and add your oregano, thyme, salt, and pepper. Cook on medium-high heat until lightly browned
- Stir in onion and celery, and add the red pepper.
- Season with cayenne pepper and onion powder.
- Add rice and bay leaves, then turn to maximum. When you start to hear sizzling, stir in chicken stock
- When everything comes to a boil, reduce heat, cover, and simmer 20 minutes, or until the rice is tender.
- Remove the pot from the heat and stir in the Worcestershire sauce and hot pepper sauce.
- Serve and enjoy!